Tritons for Sally Ride Science will present the first annual UC San Diego Ignite Talk May 17 at the Price Center Forum.
Ignite Talks are like TED talks, but each speaker is allowed just 20 slides and 5 minutes to talk about a topic of their choice. The result is a fun and fast-paced discussion. Ignite Talks have been held in countries around the world. For information on the UC San Diego event, visit: https://www.ignitetalksucsd.com/
The evening’s theme is “Pioneers in Innovation,” and the speakers are known for groundbreaking work in their fields and for advancing representation of women and minorities in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math). Tritons for Sally Ride Science is a campus club of undergraduates who work to support the programs of Sally Ride Science at UC San Diego.
The keynote speaker for the Ignite Talk is Misty Jones, director of the San Diego Public Library. Ignite speakers are:
• Francesco Paesani, professor of chemistry and biochemistry at UC San Diego
• Cynthia Matzke, associate professor at UC San Diego Extension and documentary film producer
• Christian Conaway, founder and director of Yonder Deep
• Lois Peterson, English, social studies and STEM teacher at Tierra Del Sol Middle School
• Yennie Rautenberg, coordinator, Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab
Doors open at 6 p.m. The keynote speech is from 6:30 to 7, and the Ignite Talk is from 7 to 8. Please RSVP by May 10: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ignite-at-ucsd-pioneers-in-innovation-tickets-43420769691