The U.S. Postal Service’s first-day-of-issue dedication ceremony for a Forever stamp honoring Sally Ride will be on Wednesday, May 23, at 5 p.m. in the Price Center East Ballroom on the UC San Diego campus. Ride, America’s first woman in space, was a physics professor at UC San Diego after leaving NASA. The event is free and open to the public. To attend, RSVP online at usps.com/sallyride.
The stamp will be dedicated in a public ceremony featuring leaders from the Postal Service and UC San Diego as well as Ride’s friends and family. Speakers will include:
- Kristin Seaver, U.S. Postal Service Chief Information Officer and Executive Vice President
- Pradeep K. Khosla, UC San Diego Chancellor
- Becky Pettit, UC San Diego Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Billie Jean King, tennis legend and champion of social justice
- Ellen Ochoa, first Hispanic woman in space and Director of the Johnson Space Center
- Tam O’Shaughnessy, Cofounder and Executive Director, Sally Ride Science at UC San Diego
For more information: https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2018/pr18_021.htm
Followers of the U.S. Postal Service’s Facebook page can view the ceremony live at facebook.com/USPS.